Sunday, June 6, 2010

Treme Season 1 Episode 6- "Shallow Water, Oh Mama" review



Story by David Simon & Eric Overmyer and Tom Piazza
Teleplay by Tom Piazza
Directed by Brad Anderson





I've been a tad behind with my Treme reviews for a variety of reasons. I've been busy with work, working on personal projects, and catching up with Breaking Bad- which may be one of the best dramas on television right now. But, I wanted to catch up and do my Treme reviews as a devotee of all things David Simon.

"Davis can save us..."

Leave it to Davis to make his election bid a complete spectacle. I thought it was a nice way to open the episode up, and it's cool to see that he's making strides with his gay neighbors- that took him in from the last episode.

Whereas, Davis is warming up to me as a character and I am liking him, I still cannot stand Sonny. He's just so toxic in many ways- and I can only hope that Annie wises up and leaves him. I was reading a review who referred to Sonny slapping Annie as a "cliche tv trick", I don't know when domestic violence ever became a cliche, but it makes sense why he is deteriorating. Sonny is frustrated, using again and jealous of Annie's potential. It's almost as if he knows she is too good for him. It's a very jarring moment, when he slaps her, and my heart broke as she realized she had nowhere to go, and returned to him.

Do I think that Sonny will continue this downward spiral? I can pretty much guarantee it.

Nice to see Toni continue her work in helping out LaDonna find out what happened with Daymo. Whereas everyone else didn't want to pursue this, it's good that LaDonna has someone on her side like Toni. And with LaDonna's mother's ailing health, it won't get any easier for her (the next episode is particularly jarring).

It's good to see the relationship Antoine has with his former mentor and giving him the trombone that he got from the previous episode. And it was hilarious to see the exasperated look that Wendell Pierce delivered when he found out that Desiree put his tux in the washing machine. And to watch the disapproved glares of the bassist band leader as he adds his own touch on "Take the A Train" is terrific.

I can sense Creighton's frustration on how he may eventually become a parody of himself after the youtube video, which is what the publishers want now- and could butcher the novel he wants to do about the flood of 1927.

"Davis McAlary, our Davis who's teaching you boogie-woogie, that bozo's running for City Council?"

Love that line by Creighton. :)

And that final shot of the episode speaks for itself. Fucking hilarious and great political satire by Creighton. Glad to see Toni change her mind, and join her husband and daughter in dressing like sperm.

Again, it has to be seen to be believed.

No comments: